Commodity Exchange Rulebook Consultant, International Development
February 22 2023
Accra,Ghana , Accra , Ghana
Nathan is a leading provider of analytic and economic consultancy services worldwide. In the past decade, we have implemented more than 120 projects in more than 50 countries leveraging our global presence in Washington DC, London, and India. From improved transparency and deeper stakeholder engagement to more effective policies and more resilient businesses, we deliver results that impact economic growth, human development, and poverty reduction. We are passionate about applying our deep analytical expertise and advanced proprietary tools to generate economic solutions tailored to our clients’ unique challenges. Nathan focuses on a range of economic development subject matter areas including Trade & Logistics; Economic Policy & Governance; Private Sector Development; Women’s Economic Empowerment; and Structured Finance and Investment.
The Feed the Future Ghana Trade and Investment (GTI) Activity was initiated December 1, 2021 and will run for five years. The Activity will work closely with public and private sector stakeholders to improve the enabling environment for Ghana’s economic growth by (1) facilitating growth in export-oriented trade; (2) improving and developing product standards; (3) catalyzing investments in private enterprises related to high-value commercial crops; (4) promoting job creation, particularly among women and youth; (5) promoting economic diversification; and (6) increasing foreign exchange revenues from high-value export crops. GTI will make investments in firms that trade goods across borders, spur innovation, and build the capacity of the entire trade sector.
In scaling up our approach, GTI will develop a flexible menu of innovative financing activities that include equity and quasi-equity instruments that leverage the private sector to increase two-way trade and investment between the United States and Ghana. Our transaction advisory services will facilitate exports and investment and adhere to the principle of additionality to address market gaps unfilled by the private sector.
GTI’s partner Ghana Commodity Exchange (GCX) is seeking to review and update its current rulebook that guides market operations. To achieve this outcome, GTI will engage the services of a a short-term consultant with experience and knowledge in the design, set up, and operations of commodity exchanges. . The updated rulebook will conform to best practices and operations of commodity exchanges and ensure active participation and operations of the key actors who play in the space.
The consultant will conduct a full review, provide recommendations, and lead in the creation of the amendment for the rulebook to include current and international best practices used by efficient commodity exchanges.
The amendment of the rulebook will help improve:
· Administration and Governance of the Exchange
· Membership Rules
· Trading Rules
· Clearing and Settlement Rules
· Warehouse Receipt Rules
· Contract Rules
· Rules of Discipline and Enforcement
· Conciliation and Arbitration
· Settlement Guarantee Fund
· Market Information Dissemination
· Market Surveillance
· Complete review of existing GCX Rulebook;
· Engage core staff of the Exchange in a brainstorming session to explore how current operations in the marketplace align with the rules in the current GCX Rulebook;
· Analyze market dynamics for the commodity market;
· Develop recommendations for the GCX Rulebook amendments;
· Validate the recommendations with stakeholders;
· Revise and amend the GCX Rulebook.
· Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Law, Finance, or Public Policy;
· Ten or more years of professional experience in government, financial markets, or a related field;
· Demonstrated experience in developing rules and best practices in the operations of commodity exchanges;
· Demonstrated experience in commodities and equity/fixed income exchanges;
· Demonstrated ability to interact with government and other public stakeholders in developing countries in the English language;
· Experience working with USAID and/or other international donors preferred.
Nathan is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Nathan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. EOE Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.
COVID-19 Vaccination Information
Nathan requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated. If you receive a conditional offer of employment from Nathan, you will be required to prove