Nathan’s experts have both advised clients regarding their IP transactions and conducted and closed IP transactions on behalf of clients. Representative confidential engagements have included:
- On behalf of a defendant in a patent infringement suit, we identified an acquisition target patent that the client could use for a counterclaim, negotiated an acceptable transaction price, and closed the sale in a matter of weeks. Armed with the patent, the defendant was able to quickly settle the litigation on very favorable terms.
- We advised a physician/inventor who had licensed a surgical device patent to a large US medical devices company and was engaged in a dispute over unpaid royalties. We modeled the value of the projected future royalty stream, critiqued the licensee’s model, and presented our analysis to the licensee.
- We were engaged by a large healthcare company to anonymously approach an inventor about the potential to purchase his patents related to pumping devices with medical applications. We were able to safely gain important intelligence from the patentee that the client used in its product development strategy.
- We were engaged by the trustee of a bankrupt data mining software company to market and sell the company’s suite of copyrighted software applications. We conducted a 363 auction for the assets and successfully closed the transaction.
- We advised a large financial institution on its negotiations for a patent license with a very large non-practicing entity.
- We were engaged by a start-up company to market and sell a portfolio of online video patents. We created an offering memo and target buyer list and marketed the patents on behalf of the client.