The Advancing Philippine Competitiveness (COMPETE) project is a cornerstone of USAID’s Partnership for Growth with the Philippine government. The partnership supported policy and regulatory reform of the business-enabling environment.
COMPETE provided technical assistance to
- Promote trade and investment through the provision of better infrastructure
- Improve access to the credit necessary to spur investment and trade, create jobs, and promote inclusive growth
- Enhance national industrial competitiveness
- Increase exports of goods and services and foreign direct investment
- Improve the country’s position in international competitiveness rankings
COMPETE supported measures that lower transport and logistics costs, reduce the cost of electricity, and promote the expansion of businesses in sectors named in the Philippine Development Plan, such as tourism, manufacturing, logistics and agribusiness. Nathan’s project partners wereThe Asia Foundation and the REID Foundation.