Chief of Party, Somalia Local Governance and Reconciliation Activity (LGRA)
November 1 2022
Somalia and Kenya
Nathan is a leading provider of analytic and economic consultancy services worldwide. In the past decade, we have implemented more than 120 projects in more than 50 countries leveraging our global presence in Washington DC, London, and India. From improved transparency and deeper stakeholder engagement to more effective policies and more resilient businesses, we deliver results that impact economic growth, human development, and poverty reduction. We are passionate about applying our deep analytical expertise and advanced proprietary tools to generate economic solutions tailored to our clients’ unique challenges. Nathan focuses on a range of economic development subject matter areas including Trade & Logistics; Economic Policy & Governance; Private Sector Development; Women’s Economic Empowerment; and Financial Solutions.
Nathan is seeking a Chief of Party (COP) for the anticipated Local Governance and Reconciliation Activity (LGRA) funded by USAID in Somalia. The project will support Somali communities in establishing the initial governance and safety conditions necessary to address the long-term social, economic, and political causes of Somalia’s instability by reducing the factors that enable violent extremist organizations (VEOs) to gain and maintain influence.
Position Summary: As the project
As the project’s key point of contact with USAID, the Somali government, and other stakeholders, the Chief of Party will coordinate technical assistance activities with field staff, short-term consultants, and Nathan’s home office personnel. The COP may also be responsible for the implementation of specific technical tasks within the contract, including oversight of the Grants Under Contract component, critical stakeholder engagement, and the delivery of training and capacity development. The Chief of Party will also oversee project operations including project management, administration, oversight, reporting, financial and contractual obligations, contractor progress, and performance monitoring and evaluation.
· Support the planning, design, and implementation of technical activities in Somalia, including the drafting of work plans and terms of reference, organization, and participation in technical working group meetings;
· Liaise with the Somalia government, civil society organizations, and other donors to coordinate activities and achieve the goals and objectives of the activity;
· Monitor and, in some cases, carry out technical activities, including review of deliverables and reports for USAID;
· Provide summaries of working group meetings, workshops, and trainings and identify next steps;
· Lead planning of technical activities involving stakeholders and partners o ensure that planned activities are in line with budgets and subcontracts;
· Liaise with the project team to recruit technical experts as required; and
· Other related technical and management tasks requested by USAID and in coordination with the Nathan Home Office Team, in accordance with the scope of the activity.
· Manage and supervise the field office team, with appropriate delegation of duties to other staff members on the activity;
· Supervise the recruitment and engagement of technical experts, business partners, and administrative staff, as appropriate;
· Ensure that the activity is implemented in accordance with the rules and regulations of USAID and Nathan Associates;
· Report regularly to the Nathan headquarters project team on project activities, deliverables, and events; key issues requiring approval from the headquarters office;
· Review all accounting statements submitted to the home office and time sheets of local consultants, if applicable; and
· Provide contributions to the quarterly and annual project reports.
· Master's degrees or higher in economics, social sciences, international development, management, policy, public administration, political science, law, international relations, or a related discipline.
· Minimum 10 years of experience managing programs of a similar focus and complexity, on topics such as community building, decentralization, conflict mitigation, local governance, public engagement, and/or institutional capacity-building programs;
· Proven experience navigating complex and high-pressure operating environments;
· Proven ability to work effectively with USAID mission staff, host country counterparts, and international donors; with strong emphasis placed on experience developing and maintaining working relationships across a multi-stakeholder environment;
· Demonstrated leadership in teambuilding and integrity in project management;
· Strong written, oral, and presentation skills; and
· Solid understanding of USAID rules and regulations governing project compliance, procurement, and financial management preferred;
· Experience working in the Eastern Africa region preferred;
Nathan is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Nathan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. EOE Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.
COVID-19 Vaccination Information
Nathan requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated. If you receive a conditional offer of employment from Nathan, you will be required to prove