Managing Associate,Trade and Logistics (T&L), International Development
April 6 2022
Nathan is a leading provider of analytic and economic consultancy services worldwide. In the past decade, we have implemented more than 120 projects in more than 50 countries leveraging our global presence in Washington DC, London, and India. From improved transparency and deeper stakeholder engagement to more effective policies and more resilient businesses, we deliver results that impact economic growth, human development, and poverty reduction. We are passionate about applying our deep analytical expertise and advanced proprietary tools to generate economic solutions tailored to our clients’ unique challenges. Nathan focuses on a range of economic development subject matter areas including Trade and Logistics; Economic Policy and Governance; Private Sector Development; Women’s Economic Empowerment; and Financial Solutions.
Nathan Associates is seeking a Managing Associate to support the Trade and Logistics group in our International Development practice at our home office in Arlington, Virginia. This position will require travel possibly including to the Middle East, Africa, South and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and other regions. Candidates must have a relevant advanced degree and significant, progressively responsible experience managing and providing technical assistance on donor-funded projects designed to enhance economic growth through improving trade facilitation, trade policy, business-enabling environments, and economic policy. Applicants must be self-directed and demonstrate an aptitude to work in a team environment, both as a leader and team player, and possess excellent project management, business development, proposal writing, and client management skills.
- Serve as Project Director for long- and short-term donor projects;
- Manage complex projects (for clients or for internal purposes), including technical direction, staffing, contractual/subcontract oversight, budgeting, monitoring of progress, review/revision of final products;
- Prepare terms of reference for technical assistance activities for designated projects, including initiation of concept, technical design, and staffing;
- Train/oversee work of Associates, Research Associates, and Program Assistants; and
- Perform on an as-needed basis the Project Management functions of an Associate.
- Lead and participate in business development activities, including proposal preparation, as appropriate, e.g., as a drafter of technical sections or as proposal director;
- Market to USAID, World Bank, and other donors as well as collect information on upcoming bid solicitations through travel to the region and building professional networks;
- Draft and conceptualize firm-wide or practice marketing materials;
- Develop business plans and lead efforts to target new clients, including private sector, and new areas for the firm; and
- Develop and maintain contacts with potential clients, partners, consultants, and international institutions.
- Conduct research and analysis and prepare reports for clients (requiring little or no editing by more senior staff);
- Make presentations to clients (and to staff) on technical subjects relating to trade policy, trade facilitation, business enabling environment, market systems development, or trade capacity building;
- Oversee technical activities and workstreams on various contracts;
- Develop proprietary tools/methodologies for broader potential application; and
- Perform on an as-needed basis the technical work functions.
- M.A., M.S., M.B.A., or equivalent in relevant field such as Economics, Trade, Business, International Relations preferred;
- Seven or more years of relevant professional experience in economic development, preferably with donor-funded projects in developing countries;
- Demonstrated experience in USAID project management and solid knowledge of USAID rules and regulations governing project implementation and proposal development;
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of economic growth and trade issues;
- Progressively responsible technical, project management, and proposal experience on donor-funded projects;
- Proven experience in maintaining and building client relationships with bilateral or multilateral donors;
- Knowledge or experience in trade facilitation, customs, border management, and logistics is preferred but not required;
- Proficiency in French or another language;
- Ability to work in a team as well as on a self-directed basis;
- Strong analytical and communication capabilities, and excellent writing skills;
- Willingness to travel to overseas destinations;
- Previous experience working in developing countries; and
- Permanent U.S. work authorization required.
Nathan is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Nathan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. EOO
COVID-19 Vaccination Information
Nathan requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated. If you receive a conditional offer of employment from Nathan, you will be required to prove