Senior Consultant - Investment, International Development
January 6 2021
London , UK
Nathan Associates is a leading international development consultancy firm headquartered in Washington DC. Founded in 1946, the company uses economic principles and data to guide policies and operations in a way that improves people's lives. Our employees are motivated by the belief that we can make a difference and over the years the company has expanded its services and geographical reach while remaining small enough to personally ensure the quality of its work. We currently have offices in the United States (Washington DC, California), United Kingdom (London) and India (Delhi, Chennai). Nathan Associates provides services in:
- Trade and logistics: Nathan advises public and private sector clients on trade negotiations, harmonising trade policies to promote economic integration, modernising customs procedures, reduction of tariff barriers and regulations that reduces the cost of trade, as well as help to improve trade facilitation and trade corridor efficiency.
- Private sector development (PSD): Nathan designs, implements and evaluates pro-poor, inclusive market systems strategies and programs, supports global value chains and links exporters to new markets. Through challenge funds and grants, we foster private sector innovation and catalyse private investment. Nathan also supports investment and export promotion agencies and designs initiatives to advance women’s economic empowerment.
- Financial sector development: Nathan uses a systemic approach to understand and work on financial systems to overcome the challenges the poor face in achieving financial literacy and inclusion and businesses, particularly SMEs, face in accessing finance.
- Economic policy and governance: Nathan’s services in economic policy and governance include macroeconomic analysis; budget preparation, execution and evaluation; legal/regulatory reform and anticorruption.
- Infrastructure planning and finance: Nathan provides services in economic analysis and environmental impact assessments, competitive and regulatory environment analysis, developing master plans and feasibility studies and financial analysis including structuring PPP transactions.
Vacancy type Permanent
Service area Private Sector Development – Investment Team
Location London Office
Closing date for applications 2 February 2021
Nathan Investment Team
Nathan Associates London is an international economic development firm that specialises in economic growth and investment, working with a range of government and multilateral funding agencies, and partnering with the private sector and investors. Our work spans politically and economically complex environments in emerging markets, fragile states and post-conflict states in Africa and Asia.
As part of our investment work, we target firms in these contexts to provide tailored and cost-effective assistance to help them grow, export, attain higher valuations and secure appropriate investment (including commercial and impact investment, and debt, equity and mezzanine instruments). Our London-based investment team is led by our Head of Private Sector Development. All team members receive ongoing investment training as well as mentored support from senior staff, alongside a structured performance management process. This facilitates meaningful career progression professional development for all staff by building individual and team skillsets, enhancing knowledge and developing new approaches.
Our investment team is expanding, and we are looking for a passionate, analytically excellent and development-committed professional who is at an early-stage to mid-level in their career. The successful candidate will join our team in London, with the option of spending extended time in Asia and Africa after a significant period spent at head office. This full-time role will report to the Head of Private Sector Development and will work in a matrix structure with other practices in Nathan. The role will involve the following activities:
Technical (Written and Financial) Analysis
Within the context of the economic development programmes Nathan designs and implements, the candidate will provide technical analysis involving:
- High-quality desk-based and in-person research on detailed factors constraining investment and export by firms in certain countries,
- Production of technical analyses of firms and analytical recommendations on overcoming risks, constraints and the design of new private sector development/investment interventions
- Production of compelling communications using strong evidence, that is able to contribute information, viewpoints and recommendations to diverse stakeholders.
Nathan believes that relationship management, with firms in emerging markets, investors, stakeholders, donors and funding agencies, and others is the foundation of our work in improving lives. As such the candidate will be expected to establish and develop excellent relationships based on a strong assessment of needs, resources and trends with stakeholders (investors, firms, donors, DFIs, buyers).
Nathan’s work spans different teams in different geographies, and strong teamwork is at the heart of what we do. Candidates will work with team members with different language abilities and experiences but similar objectives, and must be able to work productively and communicate effectively with diverse teams in order to mobilise teams to achieve goals.
This is an exciting opportunity for a candidate who is looking to learn and grow in a challenging role as part of a smart, dynamic and passionate team. You will be intellectually driven, with an interest in exploring big issues and what makes and moves markets and inspires people. Bringing a can-do attitude and strong teamworking ethic, your dedication will be rewarded with opportunities for growth and career progression and you will play a key role in driving Nathan’s own growth and expansion. Nathan is committed to bringing new experience and skills to our teams and we strongly encourage applications from candidates from outside the development sector.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Degree in business, economics, public policy, finance, accounting or related field. Significant experience in related sectors without a degree will also be considered.
- Five or more years of relevant work experience.
- Ability to demonstrate understanding of a company’s business model and financial statements, and the context within which firms work in Africa and Asia
- Solid analytical and critical thinking skills: including the ability to frame issues, identify key points, draw conclusions, and exercise good judgement.
- Strong data analysis skills – understanding what the data tells you and what it does not tell you
- Proven relationship management experience with firms and private sector stakeholders
- Excellent attention to detail, adherence to deadlines and consideration of follow-through
- Strong communication and presentation skills in English
- Capable of working in a dynamic, results oriented environment; ability to multi-task across various work streams/priorities
- Proven computer skills, including fluency in Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Willingness to travel throughout Africa and Asia (up to 40% travel post-pandemic)
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Strong financial acumen including accounting, valuation skills, and Excel modelling
- Experience in directly assisting firms to grow, improve, export and obtain investment would be an advantage
- Experience in the financial sector (with an investment bank, consulting firm, contractor, supplier, corporate banking unit, private equity firm or impact investor) or with international buyers would be an asset
- Understanding of private market investing. This may include experience in one or more of the following:
- Due diligence (including business plan review, financial model analysis and coordination of social impact evaluation)
- Building and managing financial models to analyse impact investment opportunities, including small-and-medium enterprises and investment vehicles
- Knowledge of agricultural credit, credit guarantee schemes, value-chain finance
- Experience supporting investment portfolio management, including accounting, monitoring the social and financial performance of existing investments, audit and compliance
- Experience supporting financial and social impact reporting
- Excellent writing experience with expert command of grammar and ability to adapt communication style to suit different audiences
- MBA, accounting certification, or CFA.
What do we offer?
We offer the opportunity to be part of an entrepreneurial and creative firm culture that has high standards of delivery and an excellent work ethic. Nathan is committed to diversity and inclusion and we celebrate diverse voices and unique contributions of all our staff. In our recruitment efforts we welcome applications from all applicants regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
We offer a competitive renumeration package including:
- Competitive salary
- Company personal pension plan
- Company Life Assurance
- Discretionary bonus scheme
- Opportunity for international travel, including opportunity for extended periods of work in our countries of operation, if so desired by the candidate
- Flexible working arrangements
Please submit your full CV, a 1-page cover letter explaining why you are interested in the role, how your experience, skills and qualifications meet the outlined specifications above and what you would want out of your career at Nathan to by 2 February 2021.
If you have any questions about the role, please contact . Please tell us if you require a reasonable adjustment to apply for this role.