Business Development Manager, International Development
December 29 2020
Arlington , United States
Nathan is a leading provider of analytic and economic consultancy services worldwide. In the past decade, we have implemented more than 120 projects in more than 50 countries leveraging our global presence in Washington DC, London, and India. From improved transparency and deeper stakeholder engagement to more effective policies and more resilient businesses, we deliver results that impact economic growth, human development, and poverty reduction. We are passionate about applying our deep analytical expertise and advanced proprietary tools to generate economic solutions tailored to our clients’ unique challenges. Nathan focuses on a range of economic development subject matter areas including Trade & Logistics; Economic Policy & Governance; Private Sector Development; Women’s Economic Empowerment; and Financial Solutions.
Nathan is seeking a Business Development Manager for an opportunity to support the full lifecycle of new business opportunities. They will be responsible for leading the business development process for specific opportunities identified by the company, serving as the capture lead for pre-RFP activities and serving as proposal manager at RFP release leading the development of customized, winning proposals for those opportunities. The Business Development Manager will also be responsible for guiding capture/proposal teams through business development processes and procedures in accordance with the company’s established processes and best practices. This role will be responsible for designating and coordinating tasks to meet applicable deadlines, collaborating effectively with, and managing internal and external subject matter experts, and representing the company to external stakeholders, including clients and partners. The Business Development Manager will also work with others to improve tools, skills, and processes to enable effective proposal development.
This is an ideal opportunity for a program development officer, capture manager, or a proposal manager looking to apply their talents across the full business development lifecycle to contribute to the growth of a dynamic company pursuing a mix of USAID, MCC, and other client awards.
The Business Development Manager will report to the Business Development Director. This position is based in Arlington, Virginia and will be remote during COVID. Nathan Associates will not be offering a relocation package.
- Provide support across the business development lifecycle as an integrated team member, to include pipeline management, bid decisions, and reviews, and reporting;
- Serve as capture lead for specific new business opportunities maintaining the capture plan which directs the strategy on competitors, client, win themes, recruitment, and draft solution design;
- Serve as proposal manager from RFP release through post-submittal, submitting all proposals on-time and with the highest quality of workmanship;
- Write non-technical proposal sections, such as management, staffing, and past performance;
- Provide quality control for the proposal and proposal process; interpret solicitations to ensure that the proposal complies with all donor requirements, and ensure timely submission;
- Ensure that the proposal clearly conveys the proper business perspective, key messages, value proposition, and differentiators against the organization’s competition;
- Assemble proposal components into a coherent whole and conduct/oversee final review and editing to ensure compliance with donor requirements and consistency of usage and appearance;
- Provide timely and accurate status reports to the Business Development Director, and identify, assess, resolve, and/or escalate issues as needed;
- Participate in/facilitate proposal post-submission meetings to discuss and capture lessons learned;
- Mentor and coach proposal team members and technical staff in best practices in proposal development with an emphasis on international requirements and best practices; and
- Adhere to the organization’s policies and procedures and apply them consistently throughout duties.
- MA., M.S., MBA, or equivalent in relevant field such as Economics, Trade, Business, International Relations or other relevant field;
- Seven or more years of relevant professional experience, preferably with donor-funded projects in developing countries;
- Progressively responsible technical, project management, and proposal experience on donor-funded projects;
- Minimum of 4 years of experience managing large, complex proposals in response to RFPs/RFAs issued by US Government agencies, particularly USAID and other USG agencies;
- Demonstrable analytical and critical thinking skills – particularly as they relate to assembling disparate pieces of knowledge and careful assumptions to form a clear picture of a client’s intentions before a solicitation is released;
- Familiarity with government and/or international donor procurement processes and regulations, including knowledge of USAID rules and regulations;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, able to write persuasive proposals and reports;
- Experience communicating and networking with clients and key partners;
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (mastery of Word specifically) required;
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, and process information in support of changing activities on a self-directed basis and to support and facilitate others to meet proposal deadlines;
- Willingness to travel to overseas destinations;
- Permanent U.S. work authorization required; and
- Proficiency in Spanish, French, Arabic, or another language commonly used in relevant country contexts is preferred.