Senior Consultant – Monitoring, Evaluation And Learning Manager, International Development
October 8 2020
London , UK
Nathan Associates London is a leading international development consultancy firm headquartered in Washington DC. Founded in 1946, the company uses economic principles and data to guide policies and operations in a way that improves people's lives. Our employees are motivated by the belief that we can make a difference and over the years the company has expanded its services and geographical reach while remaining small enough to personally ensure the quality of its work. We currently have offices in the United States (Washington DC, California), United Kingdom (London) and India (Delhi, Chennai).
Nathan Associates provides services in five areas:
- Private sector development: Nathan designs, implements and evaluates pro-poor, inclusive market systems strategies and programs, supports global value chains and links exporters to new markets. Through challenge funds and grants, we foster private sector innovation and catalyse private investment. Nathan also supports investment and export promotion agencies and designs initiatives to advance women’s economic empowerment.
- Financial sector development: Nathan uses a systemic approach to understand and work on financial systems to overcome the challenges the poor face in achieving financial literacy and inclusion and businesses, particularly SMEs, face in accessing finance.
- Economic policy and governance: Nathan’s services in economic policy and governance include macroeconomic analysis; budget preparation, execution and evaluation; legal/regulatory reform and anticorruption.
- Trade and logistics: Nathan advises public and private sector clients on trade negotiations, harmonizing trade policies to promote economic integration, modernizing customs procedures and improving trade corridor efficiency.
- Infrastructure planning and finance Nathan provides services in economic analysis and environmental impact assessments, competitive and regulatory environment analysis, developing master plans and feasibility studies and financial analysis including structuring PPP transactions.
The MEL Team
MEL team provides expertise in MEL and impact assessment across all core Nathan Associates London service areas as well as other sectors (i.e. Education and Health).
The successful candidate will be a member of the Nathan Associates London MEL Team and will be responsible for leading the MEL component on selected programmes and providing technical MEL support for programme delivery and winning new business. The role has scope to be involved across all three areas of technical delivery, project management and business development, but will be primarily focussed on technical consultancy.
Vacancy type: Permanent position
Location: London office, with international travel
Service areas(s): Multiple
Expected Start Date: December 2020
- Provide strategic guidance for the design and implementation of MEL components on programmes and internal activities requiring MEL expertise;
- Undertake high quality technical consultancy assignments in MEL;
- Lead MEL activities on an assigned portfolio of long-term projects/programmes and quality assure technical outputs produced by the MEL component;
- Provide day-to-day management of project/programme MEL teams;
- Work closely with technical and managerial leads across multiple workstreams to ensure an integrated MEL capability;
- Manage analysis of evidence and data for purposes of learning, communications and outreach strategy with stakeholders;
- Keep abreast of developments in MEL and the evolving priorities of key clients;
- Network with clients and partners to gather business intelligence for the company and identify new business opportunities;
- Collaborate in the identification of new partnerships and consultants for MEL opportunities;
- Contribute to the preparation of expressions of interest and MEL sections of proposals.
- Manage projects or components of projects under the guidance of the Project Director;
- Ensure that projects meet high quality technical standards
- Assist in the preparation and editing of reports and other deliverables
- Provide operational and backstopping support to project staff
- Manage contractual relationships with consultants and subcontractors
- Identify new consultants and building alliances to deliver existing and future work
We are looking for an experienced consultant with a track record of managing MEL activities for large aid programmes. They will preferably have:
- 7 -10 years of related professional MEL experience
- Proven ability to manage MEL teams for large aid programmes in different country contexts
- A university degree in the field of statistics, economics, econometrics or other relevant degree
- Experience working for or with multilateral and bilateral donors, in particular FCDO
- Demonstrable analytical, organisational and communication skills
- Field experience working in emerging or developing economies, particularly in West Africa, would be a distinct advantage
- Experience in the use of the “market development approach” would be a distinct advantage
- Experience in measuring investment climate and policy change
- Experience in developing and managing Value for Money Frameworks and indicators
- Capacity to build and manage a portfolio of work in business development, project management and technical delivery
- Experience in working on technical proposals with a winning track record
- Willingness to travel across different continents and time zones
- Fluent and excellent writing skills in English
- Comprehensive computer skills, in particular Word, Excel and Power Point
What do we offer?
We offer an exciting work environment within a smart, dynamic and passionate team based in our London office. You will have the opportunity to contribute to the development of a portfolio of projects in your area of expertise across Africa and Asia as well as the chance to work as part of multidisciplinary teams. We offer a highly competitive package including a performance-based bonus.
Please submit your full CV, a 2-page cover letter explaining why you are interested in the role and how your experience, skills and qualifications meet the all of the outlined specifications above to by 30 October 2020.