Director, Communications, Africa Trade And Investment Program (ATIP)
September 28 2020
Arlington, VA , United States
The Communications Director will be a member of Nathan Associates’ leadership team for implementation of ATIP. He/she will be directly responsible for building the pipeline of opportunities in Africa for trade and investment. The position will reside in Nairobi, Kenya and will report to the Chief of Party. This role will be especially critical for the successful launch of the program.
- Accountable for building and developing the pipeline of opportunities in Africa for trade and investment.
- Lead a small team of professionals focused on pipeline development.
- Oversee outreach and engagement in Africa with businesses, governments, associations, US embassies and agencies, American Chambers of Commerce, women’s associations and women-owned businesses, etc.
- Oversee market intelligence activities to refine and focus outreach activities to build a robust pipeline with efficiency and effectiveness.
- Oversee the vetting process of potential opportunities to determine the quality and readiness of projects for further development.
- Oversee initial technical assistance for early development of potentially promising opportunities, both directly and through subcontracted resources.
- Coordinate with the Senior Director for Trade and Investment and the associated transaction advisors for further deal development.
- Off-ramp opportunities that are not sufficiently prepared and communicate clearly recommendations to improve deficiencies.
- Coordinate with the Director of Communications for engagement strategies, digital outreach, events, etc., particularly regarding target audiences, key messages, and feedback.
- Prepare and support visits to the field by the client, COP and team leadership, investor/trade missions, and technical missions.
- Lead and coordinate activities of the regions and reinforce the unity of the team.
- Track and evaluate activities, identify best practices and well as improvements to advise and recommend to the COP.
- Extensive experience and familiarity working and living in Africa;
- Extensive experience and familiarity with African business networks, experience working with African Governments a plus;
- Extensive experience in business development, outreach, and engagement, particularly for building a pipeline of business opportunities;
- Familiarity with developing and analyzing market intelligence to increase efficiency of outreach and engagement, experience with data-driven approaches a plus;
- Ability to assess and evaluate business opportunities and determine quickly and accurately their quality and readiness for investment, familiarity with data-driven approaches a plus;
- Ability to apply resources to support promising opportunities that may require some development, experience with subcontracting technical assistance a plus;
- Degree from an accredited university in economics, development, communications, or related field;
- Strong interpersonal, communications, and representational skills a must;
- Ability to travel extensively throughout Africa;
- Ability to organize and lead multiple activities at once;
- Ability to identify and make adjustments for continuous operational improvement;
- At least 10-years of relevant experience preferred; and
- Fluency in English is required; French language a plus.