Regional Director, Africa Trade and Investment Program (ATIP)
September 28 2020
Regionally based (multiple positions)
Nathan seeks Regional Director candidates for the upcoming Africa Trade and Investment Program (ATIP). This expected $400-750 million new program will work to expand African trade and investment in support of implementing the USG’s Prosper Africa initiative and USAID’s Private Sector Engagement policy. The project is expected to engage and support a variety of non-traditional partners (e.g. transaction and investment advisors, financial institutions, and private companies, among other partners) and will be funded through a combination of core and buy-in activities. ATIP will support trade, investment and PSE programming that drives development outcomes in all sectors. Illustrative technical capacities will include: 1) increased trade, 2) increased investment, 3) improved business environment, 4) leveraging strategic African, U.S., and international partners and resources, and 5) institutional support to USAID.
The Regional Director will be our senior on-the-ground representative covering one region and contribute to the overall goal for identifying trade and investment opportunities and developing the most promising opportunities toward successful close. The Regional Director position will be based in their assigned region.
- Serve as the face and coordinator of all activities in the region;
- Lead the outreach and engagement in the region, which will include African businesses and exporters, national and local governments, US embassy and agencies, AmChams, industry associations, women’s associations and women-owned businesses, etc.;
- Support the development of the pipeline of opportunities in the region and provide a first filter and recommendations regarding potential opportunities in the region;
- Support the Market Intelligence Team and be the lead information contributor for the region;
- Lead communication, digital outreach, and event activities in the region, in coordination with the Director of Communications regarding target audiences, key messages, and feedback;
- Support and coordinate technical engagements for emerging deals, particularly with transactions advisors and technical subcontractors;
- Prepare and support visits to the field by the client, team leadership, investor/trade missions, and technical missions; and
- Collaborate with the other Regional Directors, coordinating and sharing activities and best practices and providing advice and recommendations to the COP and Senior Director of Operations.
- Extensive experience in the East, West, Southern, and/or North Africa regions;
- Extensive experience working in business development, regional industries and businesses, national governments in the region, and the US Embassy – with existing relationships preferred;
- A degree from an accredited university in economics, development, communications, or related field;
- At least 10-years of relevant experience preferred; 5+ years may be considered for candidates with exceptional qualifications;
- Fluency in English is required (and French is preferred);
- Strong representational skills; and
- Capability to lead multiple activities at once and provide strong support to multiple incoming teams.