Senior Consultant – Financial Sector Development (London, UK)
September 14 2020
London , UK
Nathan Associates is a leading international development consultancy firm headquartered in Washington DC. Founded in 1946, the company uses economic principles and data to guide policies and operations in a way that improves people's lives. Our employees are motivated by the belief that we can make a difference and over the years the company has expanded its services and geographical reach while remaining small enough to personally ensure the quality of its work. We currently have offices in the United States (Washington DC, California), United Kingdom (London) and India (Delhi, Chennai).
Nathan Associates provides services in five areas:
- Private sector development: Nathan designs, implements and evaluates pro-poor, inclusive market systems strategies and programs, supports global value chains and links exporters to new markets. Through challenge funds and grants, we foster private sector innovation and catalyse private investment. Nathan also supports investment and export promotion agencies and designs initiatives to advance women’s economic empowerment.
- Financial sector development: Nathan uses a systemic approach to understand and work on financial systems to overcome the challenges the poor face in achieving financial literacy and inclusion and businesses, particularly SMEs, face in accessing finance.
- Economic policy and governance: Nathan’s services in economic policy and governance include macroeconomic analysis; budget preparation, execution and evaluation; legal/regulatory reform and anticorruption.
- Trade and logistics: Nathan advises public and private sector clients on trade negotiations, harmonizing trade policies to promote economic integration, modernizing customs procedures and improving trade corridor efficiency.
- Infrastructure planning and finance Nathan provides services in economic analysis and environmental impact assessments, competitive and regulatory environment analysis, developing master plans and feasibility studies and financial analysis including structuring PPP transactions.
Our London-based financial sector practice is recognised globally for its thought leadership and expertise in implementing high quality programmes and assignments across four core areas of expertise:
- Promoting inclusive Financial Sector Development through market systems approaches specifically targeted at the financially excluded and micro, small and medium enterprises
- Providing strategic, technical, and mentoring support to financial sector stakeholders including Governments, donors, foundations, financial sector trusts, and financial sector providers such as microfinance institutions, digital financial services providers, banks and non-bank financial institutions
- Facilitating public-private stakeholder dialogue, coordination, and communication to build effective enabling environments to the needs of an evolving financial sector
- Undertaking monitoring and impact assessments of programmes and interventions as well as analytics using large data sets to deliver lessons learnt and knowledge management to further innovation and development within the inclusive financial sector space.
Reporting to the Head of Financial Sector Development and working collegiately as part of the Nathan Associates London team, the successful candidate will contribute to winning, managing and delivering programmes in the Financial Sector Practice. He/she will work across three areas: technical delivery, project management and business development.
- Undertake high quality technical consultancy assignments in the field of financial sector development;
- Provide support to the head of the Financial Sector Practice to provide technical support to an assigned portfolio of long-term private sector projects and programmes;
- Keep abreast of developments in Financial Sector Development and the evolving priorities of key clients.
- Manage large and complex projects under the guidance of the Project Director;
- Ensure that projects are delivered on time, within budget;
- Ensure that projects meet high quality technical standards;
- Assist in the preparation and editing of reports and other deliverables;
- Provide operational and backstopping support to project staff;
- Manage contractual relationships with consultants and subcontractors;
- Identify new consultants and building alliances to deliver existing and future work.
- Actively network with clients and partners to gather business intelligence for the company;
- Identify new business opportunities for the company;
- Collaborate in the identification of potential consultants for assignments;
- Contribute to the preparation of expressions of interest and tenders put forward by the Company;
- Undertake business development scoping trips.
We are looking for an experienced consultant with a track record of successful delivery of consultancy services to clients in the development sector. He/she will preferably have:
- 5 to 7 years of related professional experience
- Master’s Degree in Economics or a related field
- Proven experience in areas related to financial sector development
- Experience working for or with multilateral and bilateral clients, in particular the Financial Sector Deepening Network, World Bank, DFID, SIDA, UNCDF, and / or Foundations
- Field experience working in emerging or developing economies in general, East Africa, and South and East Asia in particular, would be a distinct advantage
- Previous experience in banking, microfinance or associated financial sector experience
- Practical experience in the use of the “making markets work for the poor” approach would be a distinct advantage
- Capacity to build and manage a portfolio of work in business development, project management and technical delivery
- Experience in working on technical proposals with a winning track record
- Willingness to travel to developing and fragile states
- Fluent and excellent writing skills in English
- Comprehensive computer skills, in particular Word, Excel and Power Point
What do we offer?
We offer an exciting work environment within a smart, dynamic and passionate team based in our London office. You will have the opportunity to lead on the development of a portfolio of projects in your area of expertise across Africa and Asia as well as the chance to work as part of multidisciplinary teams. We offer a highly competitive package including a performance-based bonus.
Please submit your full CV, a 2-page cover letter explaining why you are interested in the role and how your experience, skills and qualifications meet the all of the outlined specifications above to by 15 October 2020.