Consultant - Project Manager, International Development
June 7 2019
London , UK - Permanent position
Nathan is a leading international development consultancy firm headquartered in Washington DC. Founded in 1946, the company uses economic principles and data to guide policies and operations in a way that improves people's lives. Our employees are motivated by the belief that we can make a difference and over the years the company has expanded its services and geographical reach while remaining small enough to personally ensure the quality of its work. We currently have offices in the United States (Washington DC, California), United Kingdom (London) and India (Delhi, Chennai).
Nathan provides services in five areas:
- Private sector development: Nathan designs, implements and evaluates pro-poor, inclusive market systems strategies and programmes, supports global value chains and links exporters to new markets. Through challenge funds and grants, we foster private sector innovation and catalyse private investment. Nathan also supports investment and export promotion agencies and designs initiatives to advance women’s economic empowerment.
- Trade and logistics: Nathan advises public and private sector clients on trade negotiations, harmonising trade policies to promote economic integration, modernising customs procedures, reduction of tariff barriers and regulations that reduces the cost of trade, as well as help to improve trade facilitation and trade corridor efficiency.
- Financial sector development: Nathan uses a systemic approach to understand and work on financial systems to overcome the challenges the poor face in achieving financial literacy and inclusion and businesses, particularly SMEs, face in accessing finance.
- Economic policy and governance: Nathan’s services in economic policy and governance include macroeconomic analysis; budget preparation, execution and evaluation; legal/regulatory reform and anticorruption.
- Infrastructure planning and finance: Nathan provides services in economic analysis and environmental impact assessments, competitive and regulatory environment analysis, developing master plans and feasibility studies and financial analysis including structuring PPP transactions.
The London office
Our London-based office is internationally recognised for developing innovative ways of engaging the private sector in the development agenda and achieving pro-poor outcomes. We specialise in the design, implementation and monitoring of projects and policies all around the world in PSD-related areas: promoting entrepreneurship, developing business linkages, strengthening agricultural value chains, attracting investment, supporting investment climate reforms, deepening trade, and encouraging financial inclusion. Besides PSD, the office also leads a financial sector development practice, and is developing its capabilities in the trade & logistics and economic policy & governance practices.
This role will provide support to the implementation of Nathan’s portfolio of projects in our different practice areas.
As Project Manager, the key responsibilities include:
- Management of large and complex project(s) under the guidance of the Project Director
- Ensure that project(s) are delivered on time, within budget
- Ensure that project(s) meet high quality technical standards
- Assist in the preparation and editing of reports and other deliverables
- Provide operational and backstopping support to project staff
- Manage contractual relationships with consultants and subcontractors
- Identify new consultants and building alliances to deliver existing and future work
The initial focus of this position will be to support the implementation of Nathan’s MarketConnect Zambia programme. There may be scope for the role to evolve to management of other projects, as well as to contribute to Business Development and Technical Consultancy.
The MarketConnect Zambia programme is a 2.5-year programme funded by the World Bank. It aims to contribute to increased market linkages and firm growth in agribusiness in Zambia.
More specifically, Nathan is implementing an SME Supplier Development Programme (SDP) which seeks to promote agribusiness SMEs’ sustainable integration into value chains with established end-markets and large buyers, by supporting their ability to invest in productivity-enhancing know-how and meet buyer requirements. The core objective of SDP is to support growth-oriented SMEs in the agro-processing sector by growing their companies, measured by an increase in sales and employment creation.
We are looking for an experienced Project Manager with a track record of successful project management in the development sector, preferably in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Academic Qualifications and Experience
- At least 5 years’ experience managing donor-funded international development projects, following a Results-based Management Framework (logframe approach);
- A Master’s Degree in Development Economics or a related field;
- Experience of working in or strong understanding of development context in Sub-Saharan Africa;
- A good understanding of at least one of the areas of expertise of Nathan;
- Experience working in complex and time-pressured contexts;
- Willingness to regularly travel and work in developing countries for periods of up to three months per visit;
- The right to live and work in UK.
- Experience working in Zambia
- Previous experience of managing Agribusiness or Private Sector Development projects;
- Previous experience working on grants management;
- Previous experience in drafting reports and communication pieces (newsletters, blogs, etc.).
- Proven ability to plan and manage processes efficiently and effectively;
- Outstanding English written and oral communication skills;
- Excellent inter-personal skills and team-work;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Excellent IT skills including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project and Visio;
- Proven ability to identify risks and issues and to escalate as appropriate.
Please submit CV and a short cover letter to MMerritt@ nathaninc.com explaining why you are interested in the role and how your experience, skills and qualifications meet the person specifications above to by 24 June 2019.