Private Sector Development Practice Lead, International Development
April 15 2019
Nathan Associates is a leading provider of analytic and economic consultancy services worldwide. In the past twelve years alone, we have implemented more than 120 projects in more than 50 countries leveraging our global presence in Washington DC, London, Delhi, and Chennai. Equally at ease helping smallholder farmers access new markets as structuring complex financial transactions, Nathan experts are committed to delivering high-quality advice and sustainable solutions with integrity and passion.
The Private Sector Development (PSD) Practice Lead will work in Nathan’s International Division (ID) and report to the Vice President, Economic Engagement and Private Sector Development (EE/PSD). An expert in strengthening enabling environments for doing business and/or enterprise competitiveness, he or she will be supported by and be responsible for leading PSD experts, economists, program managers, and administrative support staff in implementing a portfolio of long-term projects. Practice activities typically involve providing technical assistance in business enabling environment (BEE) reform and/or enterprise competitiveness internationally, with an emphasis on developing economies. The Practice Lead will remain current on international best practice in business law and regulation, develop innovative BEE solutions, and apply technical expertise to short-term assignments in the field. He or she will also mentor junior and mid-level staff to develop technical skills around some of these key areas.
A significant part of Practice Lead’s role is that of identifying and pursuing business opportunities with donor organizations, governments, and the private sector, drawing on the firm’s reputation in structural reform, digital business enabling environment, market systems, and private sector development inclusive of enterprise competitiveness, microenterprise and SME development, and workforce development. The Practice Lead will leverage expertise in other practice areas such as gender and social inclusion, trade and logistics, public financial management, and financial solutions.
Management and Technical Leadership
- Supervise the PSD practice.
- Supervise and mentor home office and long-term overseas staff assigned to PSD activities.
- Oversee a portfolio of U.S. government, donor, host-country government, and private sector contracts focused on BEE and PSD. Maintain positive client relationships, ensure the delivery of high-quality services and contract execution, and manage to profitability.
- Supervise assigned home office project management staff to ensure effective, efficient, and compliant implementation.
- Contribute to the development and achievement of the EE/PSD Annual Operating Plan (AOP).
- Serve as a lead BEE technical expert for EE/PSD projects as well as other related Nathan activities within each of the corporate Business Lines. Cross-fertilize and lead BEE activities where possible, or identify experts and provide quality oversight as Nathan grows its BEE and PSD competencies.
- Coordinate with VP for EE/PSD on resource allocation and sharing within the group and other ID Groups.
- Establish practice revenue targets and individual billability targets annually in accordance with the AOP [pending direction on this from senior leadership in 2019].
- Lead the growth and development of the PSD Practice in accordance with Nathan’s three-year strategic plan and AOP. Targets for the group (EE/PSD) are determined an annual basis and in accordance with the AOP.
- Identify new programming trends in PSD and develop concrete, time-bound action plans to strategically position Nathan for new opportunities.
- Proactively identify new business opportunities including programs funded by USAID, other USG agencies, multilateral donors, financial institutions, and private sector clients.
- Plan and oversee BD and high-level capture efforts. On specific opportunities, lead and participate in specific BD activities, including proposal preparation and management (including serving as the Proposal Director, Lead Technical Writer, and/or Capture Lead).
- Ensure excellent quality of proposals submitted by the PSD Practice.
- Engage in outreach to key clients, partners, and stakeholders. Enhance Nathan’s reputation capital by participating in conferences, working groups, and other professional networks. Identify and align with VP on marketing and outreach opportunities on an annual basis [where possible].
- Conceptualize, draft, and review corporate and practice marketing materials including website content, marketing collateral, press releases, and social media content/campaigns.
Contributions to International Development, One Nathan, and Corporate Initiatives
- Participate in and contribute to the International Development strategic planning process.
- Mentor staff (technical and managerial) for professional growth and career development.
- Participate in and contribute to the Nathan Senior Staff Meetings.
- Participate in and/or lead corporate initiatives in coordination with VP of EE/PSD.
- Adhere to the One Nathan concept by collaborating with other Nathan business lines, subsidiaries, and units (e.g. Nathan London and Nathan India).
- MBA, M.A., or M.S. degree in relevant field. JD preferred;
- Twelve of more years of relevant work experience. Previous experience working in developing countries preferred; Previous USAID experience preferred
- Demonstrated leadership, decision-making, teambuilding, and management skills;
- Substantial experience in project management and/or new business development; Previous experience across a range of donors.
- Strong analytical and communication capabilities;
- Excellent writing skills; demonstrated ability and experience in developing technical deliverables and providing thought leadership on key BEE or PSD issues.
- Permanent U.S. work authorization required; and
- Proficiency in French, Arabic, Spanish, or other language widely spoken in the developing world preferred.