Chief Of Party, International Development
March 4 2019
Sri Lanka & Maldives
Nathan is a private international economic and analytics consulting firm that works with government and commercial clients around the globe to deliver practical solutions and achieve lasting results. Whether building frameworks for economic growth or navigating regulatory hurdles, securing infrastructure financing or evaluating and assessing disputes, Nathan’s experts serve as trusted partners, offering clients the analysis, technical advice, and strategies they need for sound decision-making. Known for both technical and service excellence, Nathan has corporate offices in the US, UK, and India and more than 25 program offices around the world.
The aim of this project is to strengthen government functions and improve government capacity needed to advance the country’s international competitiveness and boost overall trade and investment, with a particular focus on enterprise development. This project will support improvements in trade facilitation, logistics, public financial management, domestic resource mobilization, and, if necessary, work with private sector associations to increase their capacity to advocate for such changes to be made.
The Chief of Party will report to points of contact at USAID and to the Nathan home office Project Director.
Program Management and Provision of Technical Expertise:
- Engage the Government of Sri Lanka, private sector associations, civil society organizations, and other donors as needed to develop activities and achieve the goals and objectives of the activity;
- Provide gender-informed technical assistance to strengthen and streamline trade policies and the administration of these policies to increase private sector access to international supply chains and markets
- Conduct training and mentoring of relevant stakeholders to enhance their capacity to promote policies and practices to streamline and address at-the-border challenges for the private sector, such as those related to the Value Added Tax
- Lead the planning, design, and implementation of technical activities in Sri Lanka, including the drafting of work plans and terms of reference, organization, and participation in technical working group meetings;
- Supervise and, in some cases, carry out technical activities across the range of activities under the program (in coordination with Nathan home office and potentially other project offices), including review of deliverables and reports for USAID;
- Communicate with the project team at the Nathan Headquarters office to recruit technical experts as required; and
- Other related technical and management tasks requested by USAID (and in coordination with the Nathan Home Office Team), in accordance with the scope of the activity.
- Advanced degree in Economics, International Development, Public Policy, Public Administration, Business Administration, or equivalent;
- A minimum of 15 years’ experience working in international development in trade facilitation, public financial management, and/or public investment;
- At least 8 years’ experience as a COP or in a comparable managerial position on major international donor projects implementing policy or governance programs in developing countries with complex national level policy issues;
- Demonstrable managerial skills, coordination skills, and strong technical knowledge in trade facilitation, trade policy, public financial management, and/or public investment;
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills with evidence of ability to productively interact with a wide range and levels of organizations (government, private sector, NGOs, implementing partners and other donors); and
- Fluency in English;
- Solid understanding of USAID rules and regulations governing project compliance, procurement, and financial management preferred;
- Experience working in Sri Lanka preferred; and
- Speaking ability in Sinhala a plus.