Senior Water And Wastewater Technical Expert, Infrastructure Project Development & Finance
February 4 2019
Eastern Europe & Mediterranean
Nathan is a private international economic and analytics consulting firm that works with government and commercial clients around the globe to deliver practical solutions and achieve lasting results. Whether building frameworks for economic growth or navigating regulatory hurdles, securing infrastructure financing or evaluating and assessing disputes, Nathan’s experts serve as trusted partners, offering clients the analysis, technical advice, and strategies they need for sound decision-making. Known for both technical and service excellence, Nathan has corporate offices in the US, UK, and India and more than 25 program offices around the world.
The objective of the project is to support improved infrastructure project preparation capacity and facilitate an increase in sustainable PPPs in Eastern Europe and the Mediterranean.
This position is short-term technical assistance and will report to the Project Director in the home office in Washington, D.C.
The Primary Responsibilities may include components of the following:
Large-Scale Planning and Prioritization:
- Performing a diagnostic of a country’s water and wastewater sector;
- Performing gap analysis of the sector’s enabling environment (including legal and regulatory environment, investment climate, institutional capacity, etc.);
- Preparing a national master plan for the water sector;
- Establishing a tariff-setting methodology, including economic regulation;
- Supporting with project identification and prioritization for water and wastewater sector projects;
- Support for preparation and implementation of energy efficiency, losses reduction and cost-efficiency plans, including performance-based private sector involvement, on a case by case basis
- Providing a capacity enhancement programme for the regional water operators and the relevant local authorities; training, exchange of experience and knowledge sharing with water sector peers from other EU countries.
Project-Specific Support and Analysis:
- Preparing technical components of prefeasibility and feasibility assessments of water and wastewater projects under consideration;
- Conducting technical due diligence of water and wastewater projects; and
- Supporting preparation of Public Private Partnerships (PPPs) for water sector projects, including concession strategies and technical components of bidding documents.
- At least ten (10) years of professional work experience, with a major focus on either water sector policy and planning or water sector PPPs, or both;
- Bachelors level degree or equivalent in the fields of engineering, business, finance, law or other related fields;
- Familiarity with local conditions in the Eastern European and Mediterranean region;
- Previous experience in technical feasibility study preparation and technical design of drinking water and sewage networks, wastewater processes and sewage sludge projects.
- Experience in technical due diligence of water sector projects, both projects fully funded by the government and for PPPs;
- Experience working with government on municipal infrastructure investment projects;
- Participation in at least five (5) water sector projects with relevance to the primary responsibilities listed above;
- Lead role in at least three (3) water sector projects with relevance to the primary responsibilities within the last 7 years;
- Experience working with multilateral development banks (EBRD, WB, AfDB, ADB, IDB, ect)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Fluency in English required
- Advanced degree in engineering, business, finance, law or other related fields preferred;
- Proficiency in Arabic or Russian preferred; and
- Familiarity with international best practices for public private partnerships for municipal infrastructure preferred.